Stop HFCS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stop HFCS

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Question - Other names for HFCS?

Go down 
+3
ldw115
Elaine/Admin
fen_tiger
7 posters
AuthorMessage
fen_tiger

Question - Other names for HFCS? Empty
PostSubject: Question - Other names for HFCS?   Question - Other names for HFCS? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2008 8:00 am

Does anyone have any links/info on other names used for HFCS? I believe I read on the Accidental Hedonist list that crystalline fructose is a form of HFCS. I will try to do some reasearch on that in the coming weeks, but if anyone has that information lurking somewhere I think it would be very beneficial to know what else we should be looking for.

Thanks!!

Lisa
Back to top Go down
Elaine/Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Question - Other names for HFCS?   Question - Other names for HFCS? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2008 2:06 pm

That is a real good question. I've seen different answers. I will try to contact CSU's nutrition department to see if we can track down a reputable answer.

Thanks for asking.
Elaine
Back to top Go down
https://stophfcs.aforumfree.com
ldw115

ldw115

PostSubject: Re: Question - Other names for HFCS?   Question - Other names for HFCS? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 23, 2008 8:59 am

Just checking in. I was wondering if you've had any luck with this question yet?
Back to top Go down
dreamsneverend13

PostSubject: Re: Question - Other names for HFCS?   Question - Other names for HFCS? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 11, 2008 10:22 am

hello all! i stumbled across this website. These are just a few names, i'm sure there are many many more!

"High fructose corn syrup is hidden by food and beverage manufacturers under many names. Some of these names are: chicory, inulin, iso glucose, glucose-fructose syrup, and fruit fructose. "

http://www.living-a-healthy-lifestyle.com/dangerous-food-ingredients.html

~Brandy
Back to top Go down
Elaine/Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Question - Other names for HFCS?   Question - Other names for HFCS? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 22, 2008 4:34 pm

Brandy....

thank you for your post and for picking up my slack. Things have been crazy on my end....still no excuse.

I appreciate your input! We have a great little group of folks here!
Back to top Go down
clareo

PostSubject: Other names   Question - Other names for HFCS? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2008 4:32 pm

I've also been told to look out for: Dextrose (or derivatives) and corn syrup. Isogluclose is the name for HFSC in Europe.

And one of these names I think I did find on the Accidental Hedonist!
Back to top Go down
http://stirringandwhirring.blogspot.com
Elaine/Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Question - Other names for HFCS?   Question - Other names for HFCS? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 26, 2008 12:32 pm

Thanks Clareo,

I'm bummed to find out it's in European food. I was under the impression that the EU won't allow GMO's and they consider HFCS a GMO.

Elaine
Back to top Go down
SusanW

PostSubject: Re: Question - Other names for HFCS?   Question - Other names for HFCS? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2008 10:31 pm

Just making sure--so when you post a food as not having any HFCS, you mean it does not have the ingredients with other names that mean HFCS? Such as what DreamsNeverEnd13 wrote,
Quote :
"High fructose corn syrup is hidden by food and beverage manufacturers under many names. Some of these names are: chicory, inulin, iso glucose, glucose-fructose syrup, and fruit fructose. "

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Elaine/Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Question - Other names for HFCS?   Question - Other names for HFCS? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2008 8:55 am

Hi Susan,

Sadly no. I'm only checking for HFCS on the label. Plus I'm assuming if a product states, No HFCS, on it's label, that the others are excluded from the ingredients as well.

I will try to re-read the labels while looking for the other names. Maybe I can asterisk the products that have been thoroughly vetted.
Back to top Go down
melonhead

PostSubject: Re: Question - Other names for HFCS?   Question - Other names for HFCS? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 12, 2009 5:24 pm

According to Wikipedia, chickory may or may not be evil:

Quote :
Around 1970 it was found that the root contains up to 20% inulin, a polysaccharide similar to starch. Since then, new strains have been created, giving root chicory an inulin content comparable to that of sugar beet (around 600 dt/ha). Inulin is mainly found in the plant family Asteraceae as a storage carbohydrate (for example Jerusalem artichoke, dahlia etc.). It is used as a sweetener in the food industry (with a sweetening power 30% higher than that of sucrose) and is sometimes added to yogurts as a prebiotic. Inulin can be converted to fructose and glucose through hydrolysis. Inulin is also gaining popularity as a source of soluble dietary fibre.

But other parts of the plant are used for other things, like the chickory in some coffees (Louisianne ? brand has chickory) and sometimes the leafy tops are used, such as radiccio)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question - Other names for HFCS?   Question - Other names for HFCS? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Question - Other names for HFCS?
Page 1 of 1