Stop HFCS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stop HFCS

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Here is a few things I'm trying to do

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Elaine/Admin
Admin

Here is a few things I'm trying to do Empty
PostSubject: Here is a few things I'm trying to do   Here is a few things I'm trying to do Icon_minitimeMon May 26, 2008 9:11 am

We switched most of our lightbulbs to CFL's. I try to bake multiple things in my oven and I turn off my oven 5-10 minutes before the recipe time and let the residual heat finish the cooking.

We are definately combining trips, and I think I will be walking to the grocery store that's a little over a mile away. (good excercise too).

I know I should be doing a lot more and look forward to any suggestions.
Back to top Go down
https://stophfcs.aforumfree.com
happycampers

PostSubject: Re: Here is a few things I'm trying to do   Here is a few things I'm trying to do Icon_minitimeMon May 26, 2008 5:36 pm

We're in the process of doing the light bulb switch too. I'm not crazy about the spiral looking ones and tend to go for the CFLs that look like regular bulbs since most of my lights aren't fully enclosed.

Something little that I do is when I'm boiling water for things like pasta, corn on the cob, etc. I use the lid to help keep the heat in when bringing the water to a boil then putting it back on when I add the food. Once the water is boiling, I can turn the heat down really low (mine still boils at the lowest setting) using less energy. I get rid of the hot water asap in the summer to get rid of the heat. Sometimes, we plug the sink in the winter and drain the water into the sink to retain the heat.
Back to top Go down
fen_tiger

PostSubject: Re: Here is a few things I'm trying to do   Here is a few things I'm trying to do Icon_minitimeThu May 29, 2008 9:15 am

We've gone to CFL bulbs in almost all the fixtures as well. We found some at Lowes for the chandelier that are shaped like traditional bulbs. They work fine but the dimmer switch doesnt work on them. Oh well! Can't have everything I guess.

The way our house sits on our lot, we get the full evening sun through the dining room windows. We usually keep the curtains drawn until the sun gone down below the roofline of the house across the street, and I've replaced the light colored curtains with a darker fabric that has really helped block the light/heat.

I'm gradually making the switch to natural cleaning products as well. I have several "recipes" for them if any of you are interested. My favorite so far has been the furniture polish: 2 cups olive oil and 1 cup lemon juice - combine in a spray bottle and shake well before using.

Have a great day!

lisa
Back to top Go down
Elaine/Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Here is a few things I'm trying to do   Here is a few things I'm trying to do Icon_minitimeThu May 29, 2008 3:21 pm

Fen Tiger,

I love your "recipe" for furniture polish. I you'd like to post your recipes (create a new topicunder this category) I would really appreciate it.

I think a lot of us would like to try these recipes not just to be more green but to save money, and to know we're not exposing our kids and pets to anything harmful.

Thanks for sharing!

Elaine
Back to top Go down
https://stophfcs.aforumfree.com
wmomtc

PostSubject: Re: Here is a few things I'm trying to do   Here is a few things I'm trying to do Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2008 5:29 pm

I like the idea of switching to the CFL bulbs but honestly it scares me that they contain mercury I really worry about them leaking if broken or people throwing them in the trash when done and contaminating things that way. I have always been a huge worrier but it is over the top as a mom. We do however turn lights on only when absolutely needed, keep blinds closed so we don't have to turn the air as low, and we also use natural products for cleaning or Melaleuca products which I love.
Teri
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Here is a few things I'm trying to do   Here is a few things I'm trying to do Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Here is a few things I'm trying to do
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Stop HFCS :: Share with us your Tips :: Energy saving tips-
Jump to: