Stop HFCS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stop HFCS

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Fructose Intolerance

Go down 
+2
Amy K
DavidS
6 posters
AuthorMessage
DavidS

Fructose Intolerance Empty
PostSubject: Fructose Intolerance   Fructose Intolerance Icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 8:25 pm

The reason I searched out this forum is my fructose intolerance. For years I suffered with intestinal pain and discomfort, not knowing what was causing it. I went to a gastroenterologist, who ordered every medical test he could think of to diagnose my condition, including upper-endoscopy, colon-oscopy, and barium contrast exrays. He tested me for food allergies and everything else he could think of. However, all tests were negative.

Sometime later an RN friend of mine suggested that I read a book she had on fructose intolerance. I couldn't find any other answer for my digestive problems, so I decided to try going off all types of fructose for about a month. Then I gradually tried eating some fructose, and found that it made me sick within 30 minutes. I went back to my doctor, told him of my experience, and asked him if he could treat me for fructose intolerance. He said he couldn't help me and recommended that I avoid eating fructose containing foods. It seems that the doctors in this country are not interested in helping patients unless they can operate or medicate.

What I have discovered in my research is that HFCS and CS are not only bad for us, but they can make some of us sick. The symptoms I have experienced from fructose intolerance include the following: cramping, painful bowl movements, diarrhea, unformed stools, gastric reflux, not just excessive gas, but excessive painful gas.

What causes this type of intolerance to develop? In my case, it developed when I was about 14 years old and gradually increased in severity. It was cased by multiple high doses of antibiotics to treat reoccurring rheumatic fever that developed from strep throat, which destroys the mucosa lining of the intestines, which produces the enzyme needed to digest fructose. From what I've read, once the mucosa lining has been damaged, it can not regenerate.

Many people who suffer from fructose intolerance also have lactose intolerance. It seems logical that if pharmaceutical companies can produce a lactose replacement enzyme, (Lact-Aid), then they could also produce a fructose replacement enzyme supplement. However, I have not been able to get any response from them because they think that there may not be enough people with this condition to make it worth their while. I disagree. I believe that many people have fructose intolerance to some degree or another, which is why you may get gassy from eating too many cherries or other fruit. If I could find enough like minded people, maybe we could get them to consider producing it, (Fruct-Aid).

Now the corn industry is buying TV advertising to try to get us to believe that corn syrup is just as good for us as sucrose, (white cane sugar, brown sugar, molasses, & beet sugar). However, corn syrup has been shown in studies to supress the enzyme that tells your body it is full, which causes you to eat more than you would if the food had been sweetened with sucrose. Also, studies show a direct correlation of the increase in obesity in the USA with the increase in the consumption of HFCS and CS. We need to educate the public of the danger of HFCS so we can create a consumer backlash. If we get enough support, the consumers can demand healthier food choices, not the ones that will be cheapest to produce foods with.

Please let me know if there is any one out there with similar experiences and information. It would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Back to top Go down
Amy K

PostSubject: Re: Fructose Intolerance   Fructose Intolerance Icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2009 12:35 pm

First of all thank you for all of the information! I know exactly how you were feeling because I went through the same thing. I've been lactose intolerant for almost eight years and it came on fairly suddenly. For several years (now that I look back) I would always get very bloated from eating fruit. I am a personal trainer and try very hard to eat right so I couldn't understand why fruit would do that to me. After a few years, more and more foods would make me sick with many of the symptoms you listed. Two years ago my MD wanted to take out my gall bladder because she was SURE that I had gall bladder disease. I didn't agree so I kept pursuing a different answer. Last year it started getting so bad that I couldn't eat without having those symptoms. It was everyday all day because I never knew that fructose could cause that. I was eating organic fruit, drinking orgainic fruit juice, etc thinking that I was taking out off the chemicals but essentially making myself sicker. I took wheat out of my diet without relief...then eventually almost everything except Cheerios because I knew they didn't make me sick. As soon as I ate an apple I was doubled over with intestinal cramps. Although it was awful to think that fruit was makimg me sick it was a relief to know that I had something to lead me in the direction of fructose intolerance. There is very little information out there but it was enough for me to figure out that the reason everything was making me sick is because so many foods have HFCS. I now know that all foods with any type of fructose will make me ill.

What I like about what you wrote is what you think caused it. About 10 years ago I had Spinal Meningitis and had to take heavy doses of antibiotics for 3 weeks just to live. I now wonder if that isn't where it started... Thank you for the insight and I'm more than on board with your quest for Fruct-Aid!
Back to top Go down
Thin_Again

PostSubject: You are right about the obesity...and I think my husband had the same problem you do   Fructose Intolerance Icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2009 4:07 pm

My husband is deceased now. He died last September. He had rhumatic fever as a kid and almost died from it.

He had the same gastric stuff you suffered from. I don't know if he was milk intolerant I just know that he suffered greatly with the stomach, bowls, etc. He got to the point he would mess himself and couldn't get to the bathroom quick enough.

When he died of cancer, it was nothing to do with his bowels. But I'm telling you that it made us both miserable.

After he passed away, I determined to eat like I used to before we were married and started paying attention to the HFCS in the ingredients. Imagine my shock when the weight just started dropping off.

I was still eating home baked goods loaded down with sugar but I didn't crave the sweets like I used to.

Now, if I accidenlty injest something with the HFCS in it, I can tell almost immediately. I get this haunting craving that won't go away. It will last a couple of days.

Steph
Back to top Go down
elizabeth

PostSubject: Re: Fructose Intolerance   Fructose Intolerance Icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2009 12:39 pm

I also thank you for this information. My son, 5, was just diagnosed yesterday with fructose intolerance. FINALLY we understand what is wrong with that poor guy. He ate PERFECTLY and had gastro problems. Anyway, it is really difficult to get information on what to eat and what not to eat for people who have fructose.

Could anyone please direct me to a website that would help a a new-bie?

I agree with opening poster. Would be awesome to get a FRUCT-AIDE product.

Thanks,
Liz
Back to top Go down
docology

PostSubject: Re: Fructose Intolerance   Fructose Intolerance Icon_minitimeSat May 15, 2010 2:41 pm

I too have had much digestive trouble since my teens as well. I have tried and quit everything, and have even begun school in Alternative Medicine because of this. I too have come to the conclusion that I do not produce the appropriate enzymes to break down lactose or fructose. Everything is always so painful. I've tried so many enzymatic and probiotic supplements with varied yet minimal results. Lactaid has been most effective, followed by the Culturelle brand probiotic. I have consideered taking Xifaxin ( a specialized antibiotic designed to flush bacteria out of the digestive tract without being absorbed by the body like most antibiotics), but it is quite expensive and I hate antibiotics in general. Bromelain is occasionally effective for indigestion problems, but can be rather harsh on the intestinal lining when taken regularly. I would certainly like to help push for a Fructaid supplement, for I am fed up with reading the ingredients labels on everything I buy. I can hardly afford many of these organic substitutes for base products. Don't get me wrong, I am still all for natural and organic, but sometimes it gets so expensive. Try finding crackers, soda, desserts (and dessert ingredients), cereal, etc. without HFCS. It is not often easy or affordable. I love Whole Foods, but I cannot afford to do all my shopping their. I am also concerned about whether I can break down other forms of sugar, such as sucralose and dextrose, and whether fructose is found in products that do not specifically list it on their labels. Please let me know how I can help you and keep me filled in on new findings. Your input has been quite enlightening.

Related Articles:

FRUCTOSE MAY CAUSE IRRITABLE BOWEL SYNDROME

Gabe Mirkin, M.D.

Young K. Choi, M.D., a gastroenterologist, at University of Iowa, reported at the 68th Annual Meeting of the American College of Gastroenterology that fructose may be the cause of most cases of irritable bowel syndrome. When a person complains of pain in the belly, intestinal gas, cramps, and usually alternating constipation and diarrhea, doctors are expected to do a major workup looking for cancer and infections. When the workup fails to reveal a cause, the patient is told that he has irritable bowel syndrome. This study shows that many cases of irritable bowel syndrome are caused by eating fructose.

Carbohydrates are single sugars, or two sugars bound together, or thousands of sugars bound together called starch, or millions of sugars bound together called fiber. No carbohydrate can pass from your intestines into your bloodstream until it is broken down into a single sugar. For example, milk contains a double sugar called lactose that must be broken down into two single sugars before it can be absorbed into your bloodstream. Fifty percent of people on this earth get gas, cramping and diarrhea when they drink milk. To break the double sugar called lactose into the single sugars, your intestines must produce an enzyme called lactase. If your intestines do not produce lactase, you cannot split the double sugar into single sugars, and the double sugar cannot be absorbed in your upper intestines, so it passes to your colon, where bacteria ferment it to form gas, cramping and diarrhea.

Fructose is a single sugar that is absorbed much more slowly than another sugar called glucose. Most of the fructose in you intestines is converted to glucose and then absorbed into the bloodstream. The fructose that is absorbed goes directly to your liver where it is converted to glucose. Some people have intestines that do not convert fructose to glucose rapidly. Therefore , the fructose is not absorbed in the upper intestinal tract and it passes to the colon where bacteria ferment it to form gas, cramping and diarrhea. These people should avoid foods that are high in fructose, particularly those made with high fructose corn syrup. High fructose corn syrup is used in almost all soft drinks and fruit beverages , in cookies, gum, jams, jellies and baked goods, and a wide variety of other processed foods. This study suggests that 30 to 60 percent of patients with irritable bowel syndrome have fructose intolerance and can be cured by avoiding foods made with fructose. See report #G133 and comments on high fructose corn syrup.

http://www.drmirkin.com/morehealth/3018.html

OTHER EFFECTS
Nancy Appleton, PhD, clinical nutritionist, has compiled a list of the harmful effects of fructose in her books Lick the Sugar Habit, Healthy Bones, Heal Yourself With Natural Foods, The Curse Of Louis Pasteur and Lick the Sugar Habit Sugar Counter. She points out that consumption of fructose causes a significant increase in the concentration of uric acid; after ingestion of glucose, no significant change occurs. An increase in uric acid can be an indicator of heart disease.12 Furthermore, fructose ingestion in humans results in increases in blood lactic acid, especially in patients with preexisting acidotic conditions such as diabetes, postoperative stress or uremia. Extreme elevations cause metabolic acidosis and can result in death.13
Fructose is absorbed primarily in the jejunum before metabolism in the liver. Fructose is converted to fatty acids by the liver at a greater rate than is glucose.14 When consumed in excess of dietary glucose, the liver cannot convert all of the excess fructose in the system and it may be malabsorbed. The portion that escapes conversion may be thrown out in the urine. Diarrhea can be a consequence.19 A study of 25 patients with functional bowel disease showed that pronounced gastrointestinal distress may be provoked by malabsorption of small amounts of fructose.26
Fructose interacts with oral contraceptives and elevates insulin levels in women on "the pill."17
In studies with rats, fructose consistently produces higher kidney calcium concentrations than glucose. Fructose generally induces greater urinary concentrations of phosphorus and magnesium and lowered urinary pH compared with glucose.18
In humans, fructose feeding leads to mineral losses, especially higher fecal excretions of iron and magnesium, than did subjects fed sucrose. Iron, magnesium, calcium, and zinc balances tended to be more negative during the fructose-feeding period as compared to balances during the sucrose-feeding period.19
There is significant evidence that high sucrose diets may alter intracellular metabolism, which in turn facilitates accelerated aging through oxidative damage. Scientists found that the rats given fructose had more undesirable cross-linking changes in the collagen of their skin than in the other groups. These changes are also thought to be markers for aging. The scientists say that it is the fructose molecule in the sucrose, not the glucose, that plays the larger part.20
Because it is metabolized by the liver, fructose does not cause the pancreas to release insulin the way it normally does. Fructose converts to fat more than any other sugar. This may be one of the reasons Americans continue to get fatter. Fructose raises serum triglycerides significantly. As a left-handed sugar, fructose digestion is very low. For complete internal conversion of fructose into glucose and acetates, it must rob ATP energy stores from the liver.21
Not only does fructose have more damaging effects in the presence of copper deficiency, fructose also inhibits copper metabolism--another example of the sweeteners double-whammy effect. A deficiency in copper leads to bone fragility, anemia, defects of the connective tissue, arteries, and bone, infertility, heart arrhythmias, high cholesterol levels, heart attacks, and an inability to control blood sugar levels.22
Although these studies were not designed to test the effects of fructose on weight gain, the observation of increased body weight associated with fructose ingestion is of interest. One explanation for this observation could be that fructose ingestion did not increase the production of two hormones, insulin and leptin, that have key roles in the long-term regulation of food intake and energy expenditure.23
HYPERSENSIVITY
The magnitude of the deleterious effects of fructose varies depending on such factors as age, sex, baseline glucose, insulin, triglyceride concentrations, the presence of insulin resistance, and the amount of dietary fructose consumed.24Some people are more sensitive to fructose. They include hypertensive, hyperinsulinemic, hypertriglyceridemic, non-insulin dependent diabetic people, people with functional bowel disease and postmenopausal women.25
Everyone should avoid over-exposure to fructose, but especially those listed above. One or two pieces of fruit per day is fine, but commercial fruit juices and any products containing high fructose corn syrup are more dangerous than sugar and should be removed from the diet.

http://www.westonaprice.org/The-Double-Danger-of-High-Fructose-Corn-Syrup.html
Back to top Go down
docology

PostSubject: All about food sensitivities - Sent using Google Toolbar   Fructose Intolerance Icon_minitimeSat May 15, 2010 2:54 pm

Currently I am investigating Proton Pump Inhibitors (prevacid, nexium, pepsid, prilosec, etc.) and their correlation with digestive enzyme deficiency. So far I have found a few things, but it is still early in my search.

In view of the truly astonishing number of people who are taking antacids, this research is of great importance:

Keywords: HEARTBURN, ACID REFLUX, STOMACH ULCER - Vitamin B12, B12 Deficiency, Proton-Pump Inhibitors, PPI, Histamine(2) Receptor Antagonists, H2 Blockers
Reference: "Do Acid-lowering agents affect vitamin B12 status in older adults?" Dharmarajan TS, Norkus EP, et al, J Am Med Dir Assoc, 2008; 9(3): 162-7. (Address: Department of Medicine, Our Lady of Mercy Medical Center, Bronx, NY, USA. E-mail: dharmarajants@yahoo.com ).
Summary: In a cross-sectional study involving 659 elderly subjects, aged 60-102 years, results indicate that prolonged use of proton-pump inhibitors (PPI) may be associated with a significant decline in serum vitamin B12 levels. Patient demographics, serum B12 levels, use and duration of use of histamine(2) receptor antagonists (H2 blockers) and PPIs, and oral vitamin B12 supplementation were assessed. Acid-lowering agents (H2 blockers and PPIs) were used by 54% of the participants, where the average duration of use was 18.2 months. No association was observed between the use of H2 blockers and serum vitamin B12 levels. On the other hand, PPI use was associated with diminished vitamin B12 levels. Additionally, oral vitamin B12 supplementation (RDA) during PPI use was observed to slow the decline in B12 status, but not prevent it. Thus, the authors of this study conclude, "B12 status declines during prolonged PPI use in older adults, b ut not with prolonged H2 blocker use; supplementation with RDA amounts of B12 do not prevent this decline. This report reinforces that B12 deficiency is common in the elderly and suggests that it appears prudent to monitor periodically B12 status while on prolonged PPI use, to enable correction before complications ensue."

http://www.vitaminlady.com/articles/digestion.asp
Back to top Go down
kingstone

PostSubject: Re: Fructose Intolerance   Fructose Intolerance Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 8:59 am

Young K. Choi, M.D., a gastroenterologist, at University of Iowa, reported at the 68th Annual Meeting of the American College of Gastroenterology that fructose may be the cause of most cases of irritable bowel syndrome. When a person complains of pain in the belly, intestinal gas, cramps, and usually alternating constipation and diarrhea, doctors are expected to do a major workup looking for cancer and infections. When the workup fails to reveal a cause, the patient is told that he has irritable bowel syndrome. This study shows that many cases of irritable bowel syndrome are caused by eating fructose.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fructose Intolerance   Fructose Intolerance Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fructose Intolerance
Page 1 of 1